Typically, younger adults are more likely to experience back pains that is caused by lower back muscle strain or from issues within the disc space itself. Problems of the disc space might include lumbar disc herniation or lumbar degenerative disc disease. Severe aching and pains in the lower back region may be triggered by sudden movements or by lifting a heavy object.
Possible causes of back muscle strain or ligament strain includes: twisting, lifting heavy objects, or sudden movements that cause the ligaments and muscles to stretch; causing microscopic tears. Back strain and ligaments strain is considered the leading cause of acute low back pain.
Symptoms of lower back pain include the following:
• Pain that tends to be dull and achy
• Localized soreness upon touch
• Reduced ability in movements, sometimes severe enough to prevent walking and standing
• Muscle spasms that can be quite severe
• Pain that moves down the leg or pain that moves around the groin, upper thigh, buttocks, but will tend to remain above the knee